Have you ever experienced frustration with tangled power strips and had no idea about the right way to use power strips? You're not alone. Many people use power strips wrong, leading to the overloading of outlets and other reasons.
As a result, it's common for people to have trouble with power strips. To overcome this problem and help you with some tips to use power strips correctly, we have a blog that will help you learn how to use power strips effectively to minimize these problems.
How do you use power strips safely?
Power strips can be a lifesaver when it comes to keeping your electrical appliances safe and functioning. However, like any other technology, a power strip extension cord needs to be used safely to avoid any electrical hazards.
Here are some tips for using power strips safely –
- Power strips should only be plugged into sockets that have been specifically designed for that particular electronic device. Do not plug in outdoor sockets into indoor and vice versa.
- Always double-check the cords before plugging them into an outlet. Make sure they are connected correctly, and there is no contact between the wires and the metal strip on the power strip.
- Every device has a specific amount of wattage to be handled. Check the wattage rating to ensure that you aren't using more than what has been specified by the manufacturer. Overloading a power strip will cause it to heat up quickly, potentially creating a fire hazard.
What is the Right Way to Use Power Strips?
- First and foremost, make sure that you do not use power strips as a permanent solution. Instead, use them only for temporary use.
- Next, follow the instructions and guidelines given by the manufacturer as they direct the right way to use power strips in order to avoid any mishaps.
- As previously mentioned, use the power strip for temporary use only, do not overload the power strip by plugging in too many appliances or connecting a high-power device like a refrigerator or microwave.
- In content with the previous point, every appliance has a certain amount of wattage that it can handle. Check for the rating and accordingly use the appliance. Using a power strip that cannot handle the amount of electricity being drawn can lead to overheating and potential fire hazards.
- Keep the power strip in places which is visible to you, as it can make it easier to unplug it when necessary and reduce the risk of accidents.
- It's also important to use power strips with surge protection. Electricity surges can occur for various reasons, such as lightning strikes or power outages. These surges can damage your electronic devices and shorten their lifespan. A power strip with surge protection acts as a guard, protecting your appliances. Although, there is some Key Difference Between Power Strips and Surge Protectors that everyone needs to be aware of.
- It's best to keep the power strip extension cord away from water, as water and electricity don't mix. Avoid using power strips near sinks, tubs, or other water sources.
- Lastly, please do not cover the power strip with any material, such as curtains or blankets, as they can block airflow and lead to overheating.
How Long Should You Use a Power Strip For?
Now that we know the right way to use power strips, how long should you use them? Power strips are designed to be used occasionally and not permanently. One can keep their appliances plugged in for a few days, one-two weeks max. Using beyond that can be dangerous. It's also a good idea to replace your power strip every few months or years, especially if it's showing signs of wear and tear.
If you are looking for the best power strips in India that will suit your needs, be sure that you shop for it from a reputed electronic brand that offers premium quality products. One such electrical wholesale online store is Lyter, which ensures high-quality products that meet all safety standards.
Power strips are a convenient way to plug in multiple devices, but it's essential to use them safely. Following these simple guidelines, you can use a power strip extension cord safely and efficiently.
Shop for the best-quality power strips from Lyter. With a diverse range of electrical products, they stand at the top of the list, offering high durability and shock-free products with a remarkable lifespan. Check our website to know more!