Published on 03 Jul 2023
In the hustle of everyday routine, it's easy to lose sight of the humble miracles that make our lives smoother. Electricity is definitely one of them, powering the conveniences and necessities of our modern-day lives.
But abuse a privilege, and it quickly becomes a bane, like an electric overload. Electricity needs respect and understanding, lest you end up in a disastrous scenario To ensure that such a calamity doesn’t befall you, here are some telltale overload signs, as well as some easy usage tips for optimum prevention.
1. Recognize the Danger Signs The first step to prevent overload is to recognize its obvious signs. Frequent tripping of circuit breakers, dimming or flickering lights, hot or discoloured wall plates, sizzling sounds, or the smell of burning insulation around outlets are the alarm bells of electrical overload. Such instances warrant a visit from an electrical technician on an immediate basis.
2. Be Wise with Your Power Strip Extension Cords A power strip extension cord is a common sight in most homes and offices, providing a convenient port for powering multiple devices at once. But remember, they don't increase the overall capacity of your circuit. So, if you're using power strips extensively, consider distributing the devices among different circuits, or better yet, invest in additional outlets.
3. Understand Your Circuit's Capacity To prevent yourself from overfeeding your circuits, it's crucial to know how much power your circuit can handle in the first place. There’s a neat formula to this. Standard home circuits are typically rated for 15 to 20 amps. You can calculate the load of a device in amps by dividing the wattage by the voltage. Ensure that the total amperage of all devices does not exceed the circuit's capacity. This is a crucial step in preventing electrical overload.
4. Adopt Energy-Efficient Appliances Since energy-efficient appliances use less electricity, you rarely run the risk of exceeding the amperage limits of your circuits. As a cherry on top, you also consume less power, leading to cheaper electricity bills. All in all, they are a cost-effective solution to keep your circuits manageable. At Lyter, we can help you take your energy management and efficiency to the next level with our state-of-the-art electrical accessories. From shopping for convenient extension cord online to getting vibrant night lamps for bedrooms - visit our website to look at our catalogue of efficient products.
5. Regular Maintenance and Inspection Like your car and your AC, your electrical network needs regular maintenance. It's crucial to have it inspected by a qualified electrician regularly. They can identify and address potential issues like frayed cords, loose or damaged outlets, and ageing or inadequate wiring, and reduce the risk of a potential electrical overload.
6. Invest in Circuit Breakers Circuit breakers are your last line of defence against electrical overloads. In that, they will automatically shut off power when the load becomes too high. While most modern homes are equipped with them, if your property is older, it might still be using fuses. If that's the case, it's time to upgrade.
For 100% safe electrical accessories, choose no other electrical accessories manufacturers in India other than Lyter. Our diverse range of products, combined with our years of expertise in serving customers with timely delivery and responsive after-sales service ensures that there’s little left to be desired.
Preventing electrical overload isn't just about avoiding a power outage or evading repair costs. It's about safety - for you, your loved ones, and your property. As a responsible homeowner or office manager, understanding your electrical network and practicing conscious usage is part of your duty.
Investing in safe and reliable electrical products is also a responsibility that can’t be understated. Get in touch with Lyter today to supply your electrical needs!